I have finished reading a interesting and informing book by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea and expert in the field of demonology. Following a brief summary of what I believe could be of interest to most Christians.
1) What is a demon? A demon is a spiritual being of angelical nature that has been condemned for eternity due to his rebellion against God.
2) Are all demons the same? No. Each demon has its own psychology and its own way of being.
3) What do demons do with their time? Most of the time, demons occupy themselves with going deeper into the world of knowledge, in having relationships among themselves, and in tempting people.
4) Do demons know the future? No. In addition, what belongs to human freedom is undetermined; they do not know in advance our free choices…however, they can predict very accurately the future by simple observation.
5) Can demons read our thoughts? No. Though demons can tempt us, they cannot read our thoughts.
6) How many of our temptations come from demons? No one can say what percentage of our temptations come from demons and what percentage comes from our own weakness.
7) Can we be tempted beyond our strength to resist? No.Though we are weak creatures, God cares for us as His children.
8) Why does hell need to be eternal? Its eternal duration is a necessary consequence of rebellion against God…it is they (demons) who have drifted away from Him and do not want to return.
St Michael Prayer:
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle,
Be our protection against the
wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the divine power of God,
cast into hell, Satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world,
seeking the ruin of souls.